Towns and Places, Living in a town and a village
Typ práce: Referát
Počet zobrazení: 3 446
TOWNS AND PLACES
Places have always been important in people's lives. Birthplace is the place where we were born and our family and friends live. It is written in our birth certificate, ID card and passport. Hometown is the place where we work, meet our friends, live with our families, the place that is our home Homeland is the country where we were born (Slovakia). A 'real home' is a place where all the family members can feel safe and happy and they help each other. There are some other important places in our lives: the place of our study (university) where we spend several years, places where we met certain people important to us, where we spent perfect times on holidays etc..
In the past, people didn't have many possibilities to leave their hometowns or even birthplaces.
But nowadays, when people want to be educated – they commute to schools,
they want to earn money – they commute to work,
they want to explore new cities – travel to different countries – go sightseeing, on holidays,
they visit families etc.
There are simple ways of travelling, you can get to other continents in several hours today.
Living in a town and a village:
There are many pros and cons when we talk about living in the city or in the countryside. In general, young people usually prefer living in the town or city, and middle aged and older people would rather stay in the countryside. But it is not always like that.
Living in a crowded cityseems to be easier because everything is available; there are many cultural, sport and shopping facilities. It is easier to find a job or change it, when you want or it is necessary. Those who like bars, pub, and cafés can enjoy nightlife of the city. Of course, people have more privacy there, which can be positive and negative as well, when you need somebody to be with.
You can find some of the things in most towns and cities:
shopping centre – place with many shops, either indoors or outdoors
commercial centre – area with lots of banks and company offices
car parks – places where you can leave your car
skyscrapers – buildings with many floors
libraries – places where you can borrow books
factories – buildings where different goods are produced or manufactured
Different facilities you can find convenient in the town or city:
educational – school, university, library, museum, evening classes
cultural – theatre, opera house, concert hall, art gallery, cinema
sports – sports centre, tennis court, swimming pool, skating rink, football pitch
transport – system of public transport, taxi rank, parking
catering and night-life – restaurant, hotel, café, take-away, nightclub, B&B (bed and breakfast), youth hostel, dance-hall, disco
others – health centre, job centre, registry office, bank, department store, estate agent, police station, Town or City Hall, chemist´s, housing estate, etc.
One of the disadvantages of living in a town is high level of criminality. The environment is usually more polluted than in the countryside, there is nowhere to park in the centre, so you have to take a bus into town or get a taxi. Hectic life and people moving in a rush can be seen in cities every day. There are some other special problems: they are noisy, dangerous and crowded
- there are traffic jams (especially in the rush hours), roads are full of cars and it can be
stressful for commuters
- in some cities there are slums: parts of the city in a very bad condition with lots of poor
- vandalism: pointless destruction of other people's property
- overcrowding: too many people live in small places
- pollution: the air and water are not pure, they are polluted
On the other hand, living in the countrysidecan also be interesting, there is fresh air and you get peace and quiet. People there live in their houses, in beautiful surroundings. There is not so much noise and countryside offers to its residents peaceful atmosphere, but only in case you have nice neighbours. Houses have big gardens where you can spend your time with your family and friends. Those who are interested in farming can keep animals (e. g. Cows, sheep, chickens or pigs) and grow crops (e.g. wheat, oat, potatoes, vegetables and fruits). It is ideal to bring up your children in the countryside in the house with a big garden. On the other hand, there are not many shops, job opportunities, so people are forced to commute to the town every day. Elderly people are usually very curious, they love gossiping, and therefore you can miss your privacy.
There are large cities such as Tokyo, New York, Mexico City, where life is really fast and developed. A lot of rich people live in big houses and villas with big gardens and they drive expensive cars. Other people live in blocks of flats /or apartments/ and travel by public traffic.
On the other hand, there are people who live far away from civilization – for example Siberia, the Amazon Jungle and so on. People in these places live simple life. Some of them live in simple wooden houses and cottages and work on their fields – they grow plants, fruit, vegetables and so on. They have their own customs and traditions, which are important to them.
We are choosing a holiday destination according to our interests, hobbies, money we want to spend... We can go to different towns (cities) and places in the world:
- Hot or exotic countries - most people like to go on holiday to hot or exotic countries because there is hot weather and a sea and they can lie on the beach, sunbathe and swim in the sea. For example people like to go to Spain, Egypt, Croatia, Italy, Egypt, Canary Islands and so on.
- Sightseeing places - some people don’t want to sunbathe and lie on the beach, but they want to spend their holiday actively. They want to see new things and learn a lot about new countries, people and their customs and traditions. They prefer places like Vienna, London, New York, Paris – they visit museums, galleries, concerts and art exhibitions. For example people go to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, Louvre – there is the picture of Mona Lisa…
- Mountains – some people like to spend their holiday in the mountains – for example they go skiing to Alps or High Tatras. In summer they go hiking
- Wild places ‒ people who like nature and interesting places can go to Amazon, Grand Canyon, Sahara etc.
- Lots of people are interested in Wonders of the world: Great Pyramids of Giza, Machu Picchu,
The Great Wall etc. which belong to the most mysterious places in the world.
- in the USA you can visit
- New York – we can see the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, Times Square there
- The US National Parks – the Grand Canyon National Park, the Yellowstone National Park …
- in Europe:
- Paris – we can see Louvre there, the Eiffel Tower and many other sightseeing places
- London – the Buckingham Palace, The Tower Bridge, The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben…
- Rome – the Coloseum
- other places in the world:
- Rio – there is a famous carnival every year
- Africa – people like to see safari and wild life
The most favourite destinations of the Slovaks are Croatia, Greece, Bulgary or Italy in summer, while in winter Slovaks love skiing in the Alps.
- on the other hand, some people like to spend their holiday at home. They don’t want to travel and so they stay at home and read a book, watch TV or they just spend time with their family and friends.
Towns and places in Slovakia
Slovakia also offers lots of interesting places. There are:
- Mountains => The High Tatras, The Low Tatras, Slovak Paradise
- Old towns/villages => Vlkolínec, Čičmany, Levoča, Kežmarok, Banská Štiavnica, Kremnica
- Caves => The Dobšinská Ice Cave, Belianska Cave, Domanica
- Castles => Devín Castle, Bratislava Castle, Bojnice Castle, Spiš Castle, Orava
- Spas/spa baths/ => Piešťany, Bardejov, Rajecké Teplice, Sliač
- Bratislava => capital city
- Other Slovak cities => Košice (the historical St. Elizabeth’s Cathedral), Trenčín, Prešov...
- The nature in Slovakia is beautiful – in summer we can go hiking, mountaineering, walking, cycling and in winter, we can go skiing in our mountains. We have The High Tatras and The Low Tatras - the nature there is protected by law (TANAP).
- Folklore festivals in Detva and Východná are also very popular.
My favourite place
I like many places in the world, but my favourite place is my home town, because I have lived here for all my life and I have a lot of friends here. I know my home town very well and I know many people who live here and they know me. Moreover, my family lives here and therefore I will always be happy to come back to my home town, even if I move away.
My second most favourite place is my grandmother’s house in ……………. because I have holidays there and I always like to visit my grandmother. I like to spend holidays at my grandmother’s house, because she looks after me well and because she can bake excellent cakes. In addition to this, I can go for a walk to the forest and pick mushrooms in summer because my grandmother lives near a forest.
Every summer millions of people set off for their holiday destinations and spend several days of weeks far from home, relaxing, having fun and learning about different cultures. If their holiday is a long one, they get homesick and long for the place they know. After coming home they feel relaxed and full of energy. But when they are at home, you may hear the well-known phrases: “East or west, home is best”, “There is no place like home” or “Home, sweet home”.
adventure ‒ dobrodružstvo
all over the world – po celom svete
in my opinion – podľa môjho názoru
different ways of life – odlišné spôsoby života
developed – rozvinutý
imagine – predstaviť si
birthplace ‒ miesto narodenia (rodisko)
homeland ‒ rodná krajina
hometown ‒ rodné mesto
birth certificate‒ rodný list
crowded ‒ preplnený
protected by law‒ zákonom chránený
housing estate‒ sídlisko
infrastructure ‒ infraštruktúra
hiking‒ pešia turistika
rural ‒ vidiecky
suburb ‒ predmestie
public transport ‒ verejná doprava
rush hour ‒ dopravná špička
block of flats ‒ panelák
spa town ‒ kúpeľné mesto
far away from civilization ‒ ďaleko od civilizácie
memories ‒ spomienky
Wonders of the World ‒ divy sveta
slum ‒ chudobná štvrť
wooden houses ‒ drevené domčeky
a cottage – chata, chalupa
field – pole
grow plants – pestovať rastliny
customs and traditions – zvyky a tradície
the Statue of Liberty – Socha Slobody
sightseeing places – miesta s pamätihodnosťami
wild life – život v divočine
pick mushrooms – zbierať huby
depend on – závisieť od, záležať na
lie on the beach – ležať na pláži
sunbathe – opaľovať sa
Canary Islands – Kanárske Ostrovy
prefer – uprednostňovať
art exhibitions – umelecké výstavy
mountains – hory
square – námestie
law court – súd
football pitch – futbalové ihrisko
car park – parkovisko
amusement park – zábavný park
cemetery – cintorín
meadow – lúka
facilities – vybavenie
outskirts – okraj mesta
fair – trh
high-rise building – výšková budova
industrial zone – priemyselná zóna
open-air museum – skanzen
east or west, home is best – všade dobre, doma najlepšie
|Podobné práce||Typ práce||Rozsah|
|Towns and Places||Referát||1 193 slov|
|Towns and Places + questions||Referát||339 slov|
|Audionahrávka MP3: Towns and Places||Maturita||1 477 slov|
|Towns and Places||Maturita||1 422 slov|
|Places and Towns||Maturita||2 911 slov|
|Towns and Places||Maturita||1 386 slov|
|Towns And Places (slovné spojenia a frázy)||Maturita||613 slov|
|Towns and places – maturitná téma||Referát||1 201 slov|
|Towns and places||Maturita||1 042 slov|
|Vocabulary: Towns and places||Referát||723 slov|
|Towns and places||Referát||360 slov|
|Towns and Places||Referát||490 slov|
|Towns and Places||Maturita||598 slov|
|Towns and Places||Referát||840 slov|
|Towns and Places||Maturita||1 665 slov|
Vyhľadaj ďalšie vhodné študentské práce pre tieto kľúčové slová:#living in the city and in the country #my village #Town #town and village #advantages of living in town #towns-and-places #living #My favourite town #Disadvantages of living in a town #towns and places #town and places #my favourite place #advantages and disadvantages living in the city #Town or village fir and against essay #village #My town or village #Košice town #Place #culture and art city and village #Piestany referat v anglictine